Monday 24 February 2014

Final words by Scott Robinson

I didn’t expect to be sitting down to write this speech, as I didn’t expect that I would be dying this soon.  In fact, to let you into a secret, I didn’t intend ever to die.  In a sense, I have the luxury of making today the way I want it – in particular I get to choose my own music – no “Morning has broken” for example.

I would like to ask as many of you that can face it to have a great time tonight, to enjoy each others company while you can.  In particular to everyone from Queens’, get blindingly drunk, talk about old times, enjoy each others company while you can.

I do think that I am someone reasonably well cut out to cope with what has has happened to me – I have always enjoyed my own company, and being on my own, I know that sometimes I could be a little cold and aloof.  This characteristic has been useful during the last months and years.  Perhaps there was a reason for this, and in an Owen Meany way, with the ability to internalise feelings and deal with them in my own way, I was being given the tools to deal with what would happen to me.  But on the flip side, I have been privileged to make so many good friends in my life, and I have enjoyed the company of each of you in this room at one time or another.  I should say that my happiest times were either just sitting with the kids in the garden, watching them grow, or sitting with some of you in a little pub somewhere – in Leysin or The Three Valleys on the slopes, in Cambridge in the college bar, in the Fitzroy on Charlotte Street.  Or just watching some classic old re-run that meant something to me – Spaced uncovered with Gav Kath and Rup springs to mind, or Drew Barrymores brilliant smile in the Wedding Singer reminding me of H when we met.

It burns me that I will not be there for the children as they grow up, and that I will not be able to share the work (and joy) with H.  H is a coper, and will continue to do a brilliant job in the years ahead, of that I have no doubt.  Each of you here has your own burdens and lives to lead.  All I can ask is something which, if I know my friends and family as I think I do, none of you will need to be told,but which I will re-iterate anyway – as I have never been accused of being particularly subtle.  Please, in the coming months and years, do what you can to help and support H, and the children.  H will rarely ask for help.  It may be that some proactivity is required.  I will say nothing more.

The final thing to say is that, in case it wasn’t already blindingly obvious to everyone here, is that it turns out to be true what they say – you have to take your chances when they come along.  No, but really.  No, but really.

The final piece of music I have chosen is my favourite ever piece, an instrumental track which accompanies the end credits to the film In The Loop.  To me, it is another way of saying what John Lennon once said – Life is what happens while we’re making other plans - that beauty can be found, and should be actively looked for, during the most mundane and ordinary of situations, and that we should never forget to enjoy the moment, and our precious time.


Final piece of music: In the Loop End Credits Audio – Mp3.